The HCD 10: Dr. David Schuller, Owner
Dr. David Schuller
Vice president of medical center expansion and outreach for The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center and The Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center—Arthur G. James Cancer Hospital and Richard J. Solove Research Institute (Columbus, Ohio)
Who he is: Schuller has had a long career with the Ohio State University hospital system and its college of medicine. He’s the John W. Wolfe Chair in Cancer Research professor in the medical school’s department of otolaryngology, head and neck surgery, and CEO emeritus of the Arthur G. James Cancer Hospital and Richard J. Solove Research Institute.
Year in review: OSU’s ambitious expansion of its medical center and the cancer facilities—a project involving a staggering 1.1 million square feet and a $1.1 billion price tag, designed by HOK (New York) with Moody-Nolan Inc. (Columbus, Ohio)—is the largest project in Ohio State’s history. For the past 11 years, Schuller's vision has guided the massive undertaking, which will bring together integrated research, education, and personalized medical care. The new facility is expected to create thousands of new jobs and allow OSU to support an additional 10,000 inpatients and 300,000 ambulatory visits per year. In 2013, the project entered the home stretch, keeping Schuller and the design team very busy finalizing all the details.
What’s next: The grand opening: The Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center—Arthur G. James Cancer Hospital and Richard J. Solove Research Institute and Critical Care Center reaches the finish line in 2014. The anticipated early opening of the new ED is this summer; completion of construction of the new cancer hospital and critical care center is slated for September. As the year comes to a close, move-in and opening for patient care, research, and education should be complete.
THE HCD 10 (click any winner's name for more information):
- Owner: David Schuller, vice president of medical center expansion and outreach, The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center and The Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center—Arthur G. James Cancer Hospital and Richard J. Solove Research Institute (Columbus, Ohio)
- Architect: Laura Poltronieri, principal, Poltronieri Tang & Associates (Swarthmore, Pa.)
- Association/foundation executive: Douglas Erickson, CEO, Facility Guidelines Institute (Dallas)
- Interior designer: Carolyn BaRoss, design principal, Perkins+Will (New York)
- Researcher: Sheila Bosch, director of research, Gresham, Smith and Partners (Tampa, Fla.)
- Construction executive: Carlos Gonzalez, project director, Clark/McCarthy, A Joint Venture (Costa Mesa, Calif.)
- Educator: James Shraiky, assistant professor, director of healthcare design initiatives, Arizona State University (Tempe, Ariz.)
- Facility manager: Mitch Goplen, vice president and director of facility services and construction, Billings Clinic (Billings, Mont.)
- Rising star: David Ruthven, co-lead and creative director, NXT Health (New York)
- Firm of the year: Perkins+Will (worldwide)