Facey Medical Group’s new building is a 124,000-square-foot, multi-specialty medical office in Mission Hills, Calif. The group sought to consolidate several of its smaller regional clinics and offices into one technologically advanced, energy-efficient building. Erdman Co., a healthcare facility planning, design, and construction company, conducted multiple studies to help identify operational efficiencies and functionality to incorporate into the facility’s design. Much of the building’s design was inspired by nearby Mission San Fernando. The design team’s goal was to reflect the region’s indigenous style in a way that would be comforting and familiar to the community – creating a welcoming environment to reduce the anxiety of medical visits.
For example, the Mission Hills facility has a terrazzo floor that mimics the look of Spanish pattern tile. The designers also used artisan/handmade ceramic tiles as decoration at the reception desk and used a palette of San Fernando Mission-style colors. Erdman employed numerous energy-efficient strategies in the construction process. It also implemented design features such as clay tiles, aluminum windows with sun shades, and a light-reflective roof for eco-conscious operations. Having registered to be a Silver LEED facility, the Facey Mission Hills Clinic anticipates full certification in the spring due to these enhancements and others:
- Construction teams recycled more than 90% of the previous building on the property and used only local plant species for the landscaping in order to conserve water.
- A new building automation system includes an interactive wall display that lets visitors see real-time information about energy consumption and savings.
- Daylight sensors are used to turn off the light fixtures closest to the windows when the sensor detects enough light coming through, helping the facility save on energy consumption.
Other notable design features include:
- Individual lab stations on every floor to reduce wait times
- Exam rooms and offices of the same size for interchangeability in the future
- Centralized check-in on every floor
- Oncology and infusion patient retreat area with double fireplace
- Employee café and public coffee cart
- Employee outdoor patio
- More than 600 parking spaces with shuttle service to and from the clinic
- Ample bike parking.
The Facey Mission Hills Clinic opened with 55 physicians and has space for up to 70. Facey Medical Group employs more than 160 physicians in multiple specialties, providing medical services to residents in the San Fernando, Santa Clarita, San Gabriel, and Simi Valleys.