FIRST LOOK: University Medical Center Schleswig-Holstein Modernization Project
Valued at approximately $1.9 billion (€1.7 billion), the massive modernization of the University Medical Center Schleswig-Holstein’s (UKSH) Kiel and Lübeck campuses is the largest public-private partnership (P3) project in Germany.
The BAM/VAMED P3 team is charged with bringing it to life, including design, construction, maintenance, and operation.
UKSH is one of the largest university hospitals in Europe and the only comprehensive care hospital in Schleswig-Holstein, the northernmost of the 16 federal states of Germany. Prior to beginning the modernization project, UKSH spent more than two years studying building options, forecasting healthcare delivery changes, and conducting hundreds of work sessions strategizing the future of health, research, and medical education at the university.
A key takeaway from this planning was the need to centralize clinics and institutes to enhance collaboration across disciplines, expedite the translation of research discoveries into patient care, and provide a more seamless care delivery process.
The modernization project will do exactly that, centralizing 21 clinics at the Kiel campus and 20 at the Lübeck campus into approximately 2.7 million square feet of new space. The project also includes the renovation of existing health and research buildings, preservation of historic buildings, and the creation of new main entrances for each campus.
The total construction cost is estimated at $590 million (€520 million).
From an architectural standpoint, the overall design unifies both campuses and becomes the new “corporate architecture” for the UKSH brand. Buildings are structured horizontally to integrate with—rather than loom over—the landscape and to promote a natural integration of departments.
The base of all the buildings are clad in brick, blending with the surrounding development and paying tribute to the traditional architectural style found in Northern Germany. Atop the brick base are building masses that stay true to German modernism—cubic white forms with green accents.
Throughout the buildings, white perforated paneling and large environmental graphics of the UKSH logo create a cohesive and contemporary design language.
The procurement model for the modernization project is design, build, finance, maintain, and operate. Under this model, BAM/VAMED will finance construction and maintain and operate the facilities until 2044. During that time, 75 percent of the project financing will be repaid by UKSH as milestone payments. The consortium partners and commercial funders will provide the remaining 25 percent of the debt as equity and long-term funding.
As part of the P3 team, four architecture firms are splitting the design work—Sander Hofrichter Architects and TSJ Architects are working on the Lübeck campus and HDR TMK (HDR’s German design studio) and JSWD Architects are working on the Kiel campus.
Construction is planned for completion in 2021.
Do you have a project in-progress? Email Jennifer Kovacs Silvis at firstname.lastname@example.org for details on how to contribute to First Look.