The HCD 10: Carolyn BaRoss, Interior Designer
Carolyn BaRoss, ASID, IIDA, LEED AP
Design principal, Perkins+Will (New York)
Who she is: In her 19-year career with Perkins+Will, BaRoss has played a key role in many of the firm’s high-profile healthcare projects, including Johns Hopkins Hospital (Baltimore) and its recently completed Sheikh Zayed Tower and the Charlotte R. Bloomberg Children’s Center, as well as the fit-out for the Yawkey Center for Outpatient Care for Massachusetts General Hospital (Boston). A member of Perkins+Will’s Healthcare Interior Discipline Leadership Group, she co-authored the group’s initial mission statement. She’s an active member of IIDA New York’s healthcare forum and participates in the healthcare committee for the New York Building Congress. She regularly shares her healthcare expertise throughout the industry, including participation as a visiting juror for Pratt Institute’s design studios and as a guest critic for studios at the New York School of Interior Design.
Year in review: BaRoss served as a peer reviewer for the Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital in Boston, which opened in 2013, and was both peer reviewer and adviser for the Nemours Children’s Hospital in Orlando, Fla. She was the interior design principal for the ColumbiaDoctors Midtown practice for Columbia University Medical Center, a LEED Gold facility that was awarded Best in Category this year in the IIDA Healthcare Interior Design Competition, and for the Einstein Medical Center Montgomery Hospital and Medical Arts Building in East Norriton, Pa., which opened in late 2012 and earned LEED Silver status this year.
What’s next: Projects currently on BaRoss’s boards include a variety of international projects as well as the Monmouth Cancer Center for Memorial Sloan-Kettering, a 120,000-square-foot cancer center in Middletown, N.J., and the recently completed Robert Preston Tisch Center for Men’s Health for NYU Langone Medical Center (New York), a holistic center for urban males.
THE HCD 10 (click any winner's name for more information):
- Owner: David Schuller, vice president of medical center expansion and outreach, The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center and The Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center—Arthur G. James Cancer Hospital and Richard J. Solove Research Institute (Columbus, Ohio)
- Architect: Laura Poltronieri, principal, Poltronieri Tang & Associates (Swarthmore, Pa.)
- Association/foundation executive: Douglas Erickson, CEO, Facility Guidelines Institute (Dallas)
- Interior designer: Carolyn BaRoss, design principal, Perkins+Will (New York)
- Researcher: Sheila Bosch, director of research, Gresham, Smith and Partners (Tampa, Fla.)
- Construction executive: Carlos Gonzalez, project director, Clark/McCarthy, A Joint Venture (Costa Mesa, Calif.)
- Educator: James Shraiky, assistant professor, director of healthcare design initiatives, Arizona State University (Tempe, Ariz.)
- Facility manager: Mitch Goplen, vice president and director of facility services and construction, Billings Clinic (Billings, Mont.)
- Rising star: David Ruthven, co-lead and creative director, NXT Health (New York)
- Firm of the year: Perkins+Will (worldwide)