The HCD 10: Jean Hansen, Interior Designer
Jean Hansen, AAHID, CID, EDAC, FIIDA, LEED Fellow
Senior professional associate and sustainable interiors manager at HDR Architecture (San Francisco)
Who she is: One of the industry’s strongest champions of sustainable practices, Hansen spent 10 years with the Kaiser Permanente High Performance Building Committee, developing comprehensive sustainable strategies, guidelines, and tools; helped develop the Green Guide for Healthcare; and was a core member of the U.S. Green Building Council’s LEED for Healthcare rating system committee. She’s also a founding member of the American Academy of Healthcare Interior Designers..
Year in review: Hansen helped craft the fledgling Healthier Hospitals Initiative’s (HHI) Healthier Interior Challenge, in which sponsoring health systems commit to meeting at least two of the six challenges put forth by HHI within a three-year period. Her recent research on issues surrounding chemicals in fabrics, furniture, and finishes continues to shine a light on this emerging area of concern.
What’s next: Hansen has plenty on her plate, including wrapping up LEED certification efforts for several VA outpatient clinics and beginning a new project at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, for which she’ll lead its overall sustainable materials research. She’s also a new board member for the Health Product Declaration Collaborative.
THE HCD 10 (Click any winner's name for more information):
- Architect: Joan Saba, partner, NBBJ (New York)
- Association/foundation executive: Tammy Thompson, president and founder, Institute for Patient-Centered Design (Atlanta)
- Construction/building executive: Andrew Quirk, senior vice president and national director, Healthcare Center of Excellence, Skanska USA Building (Nashville)
- Researcher: Nicholas Watkins, director of research, HOK (New York)
- Facility manager: Dennis Monty, director of facilities planning, compliance, and special projects, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (Boston)
- Interior designer: Jean Hansen, senior professional associate and sustainable interiors manager, HDR Architecture (San Francisco)
- Owner: Gary Kusnierz, vice president, performance excellence, Ministry Health Care (Menasha, Wis.)
- Educator: Frank Zilm, Chester Dean lecturer on healthcare design, University of Kansas School of Architecture, Design & Planning
- Rising star (under 40): Natalie Miovski, principal and director of healthcare, EwingCole (Philadelphia)
- Firm of the year: NBBJ (headquartered in Seattle).