The HCD 10: NBBJ, Firm of the Year
Firm details: Headquartered in Seattle, NBBJ’s architecture, planning, and design practice has offices around the world and works across the spectrum of built environments, from housing to hospitality to healthcare.
Year in review: The multiple award-winning Lunder Building at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston is certainly a feather in NBBJ’s cap for 2012. In addition, its work on the Miami Valley Hospital Heart and Orthopedic Center in Dayton, Ohio, earned it a Citation of Merit award in Healthcare Design’s 2012 Architectural and Interior Design Showcase, while the inspired interiors of the Bayt Abdullah Children’s Hospice in Kuwait won Best of Competition in the International Interior Design Association’s Healthcare Interior Design Competition. In 2012, the firm had more than 20 big healthcare projects on their boards.
What’s next: With more of the same, the team continues work on projects for Massachusetts General Hospital, the Louisiana State University Academic Medical Center and Southeast Louisiana Veterans Health Care System Replacement Medical Center (New Orleans), and the Palo Alto Medical Foundation San Carlos Center (Palo Alto, Calif.).
THE HCD 10 (Click any winner's name for more information):
- Architect: Joan Saba, partner, NBBJ (New York)
- Association/foundation executive: Tammy Thompson, president and founder, Institute for Patient-Centered Design (Atlanta)
- Construction/building executive: Andrew Quirk, senior vice president and national director, Healthcare Center of Excellence, Skanska USA Building (Nashville)
- Researcher: Nicholas Watkins, director of research, HOK (New York)
- Facility manager: Dennis Monty, director of facilities planning, compliance, and special projects, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (Boston)
- Interior designer: Jean Hansen, senior professional associate and sustainable interiors manager, HDR Architecture (San Francisco)
- Owner: Gary Kusnierz, vice president, performance excellence, Ministry Health Care (Menasha, Wis.)
- Educator: Frank Zilm, Chester Dean lecturer on healthcare design, University of Kansas School of Architecture, Design & Planning
- Rising star (under 40): Natalie Miovski, principal and director of healthcare, EwingCole (Philadelphia)
- Firm of the year: NBBJ (headquartered in Seattle).