The HCD 10: Natalie Miovski, Rising Star (Under 40)
Natalie Miovski, AIA, EDAC, LEED AP
Principal and director of healthcare, EwingCole (Philadelphia)
Who she is: At 37, Miovski has accomplished much in the healthcare design field, and she currently leads EwingCole’s healthcare practice as a principal. Since joining the firm in 2003, she’s led the planning and design of many complex, highly specialized facilities, including multi-site campuses, oncology centers, imaging facilities, medical office buildings, and patient pavilions.
Year in review: Miovski’s been working on the transfer of the trauma program for the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania—encompassing emergency, surgical, imaging, and critical care departments—to a new 200,000-square-foot home at the Penn Presbyterian Medical Center. She and her team also began design work for a $110 million expansion project for St. Christopher’s Hospital for Children (Philadelphia), which will add a critical care tower (110 new beds), new main hospital entry, and a “Center for the Urban Child.”
What’s next: In addition to ongoing work on the projects mentioned above, Miovski is focusing on the development of a prototype for the ambulatory care buildings at Lehigh Valley Health Network (Allentown, Pa.) as well as expansions to Geisinger Medical Center’s Women’s Center and the Janet Weis Children’s Hospital (both Danville, Pa.).
THE HCD 10 (Click any winner's name for more information):
- Architect: Joan Saba, partner, NBBJ (New York)
- Association/foundation executive: Tammy Thompson, president and founder, Institute for Patient-Centered Design (Atlanta)
- Construction/building executive: Andrew Quirk, senior vice president and national director, Healthcare Center of Excellence, Skanska USA Building (Nashville)
- Researcher: Nicholas Watkins, director of research, HOK (New York)
- Facility manager: Dennis Monty, director of facilities planning, compliance, and special projects, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (Boston)
- Interior designer: Jean Hansen, senior professional associate and sustainable interiors manager, HDR Architecture (San Francisco)
- Owner: Gary Kusnierz, vice president, performance excellence, Ministry Health Care (Menasha, Wis.)
- Educator: Frank Zilm, Chester Dean lecturer on healthcare design, University of Kansas School of Architecture, Design & Planning
- Rising star (under 40): Natalie Miovski, principal and director of healthcare, EwingCole (Philadelphia)
- Firm of the year: NBBJ (headquartered in Seattle).